'Silent Rave' In NYC's Union Square! Come Celebrate and Dance the Night Away!April 10, 2008 - by CityGuide News
The time has come, New York, for you to experience the wonder of Silent Raves!
These events have been springing up all over Europe for the last few years, and it is a true shame that New York hasn't had something of the same scale.
A Silent Rave, or Mobile Club, or Silent Disco is a simple concept. Hundreds, hopefully thousands, of people from any background of life turn up in a public place at a pre-arranged time, turn on their iPods and dance freely to whatever music they choose to listen to!
See these wikipedia articles for more info:
Imagine the pure liberation at dancing however you want to, to whatever music your heart desires from Ozzy Osbourne to Justice, and not caring what anyone else thinks!
New York is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, yet it should be a crime that one of these Discos hasn't occured here properly yet.
Please invite literally everyone you know in order that we can spread this and make it not only happen, but the first of many of these fantastic events! This will only get off the ground with your help, so please do whatever you can to bring enjoyment to this great city!
Help this dream become a reality, and the event that everyone from the media to Dr Z. is talking about in New York!
Punks; Goths; Ravers; Space-Cases; Indie-kids; Electro-heads; House fiends; Commuters; Teenagers; Retirees; Businessmen; Musicians; Emos; Jocks; Geeks; Teachers; Students; Christians; Jews; Muslims; Aetheists; Agnostics; Upper East Siders and Coney Islanders; this event is for anyone who wants to dance and experience something truly wonderful!
DANCE IN THE STREETS, NOT IN YOUR ROOM!
Where: Union Square NYC
When: Friday April 18th, 2008 6:15pm-11:00pm
See the info on the original page here:
The basic premise is thousands of people turn up in a public place, plug in their own ipods, listen to their own music and dance and rave for hours!
The prospect of raving like you really don't care about what other people think, with thousands of fellow dancers, is a bloody brilliant one I think you'll agree!
There is never an official end time for Silent Raves, its just whenever you're done that it ends.
Here's a simple set of instructions to include the questions people have been asking:
- The precise start to the rave will be determined on the week of the event
- NO THE MUSIC WILL NOT BE SYNCED FOR EVERYONE. The main point of Silent Raves is that people have freedom to listen to whatever they want, plus this way we get people from all backgrounds, and don't lose people who wouldn't like the music we'd play.
- HOWEVER, you are very welcome to coordinate something with your mates/make playlists/set up FM transmitters, but that'll all be via your own efforts. The official Silent Rave stance is people listen to anything they like.
- There will be a huge countdown, no raving before this time! Then its time to go crazy.
- Please respect the other people dancing around you, and also the park! No-one wants a load of litter and bollocks to clean up afterwards, so just use common sense and don't be a muppet.
- Dress up in whatever you want to, your fellow ravers won't judge you!
- Show people they should be dancing in the streets, not in their rooms!
All in all we want everyone to RAVE and DISCO till your legs fall off or your iPod battery runs out! and just have a bloody good time because things like this don't come around too often!