The Radio City Christmas Spectacular Starring the RockettesNovember 19, 2015 - by CG News Desk
The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is back for 2015! One of New York City’s perennial favorites has returned, with high-kicking Rockettes and all the spirit of the holiday season. The 2015 edition features dazzling dance numbers and costumes, traditional favorites, and state-of-the-art technology. The finale, “Snow,” transforms the hall into a winter wonderland that features GPS-enabled snowflakes. “Snow,” which was introduced in 2013, takes the Rockettes signature technique and athleticism to its greatest heights ever. The show also includes long-running favorites, including “Living Nativity,” a reverent tribute to the first Christmas, and “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers,” which sets the standard for the Rockettes’ style of precision dance.
The show also features the world’s largest flying indoor LED screen, new routines and surprises, songs and carols, razzle-dazzle costumes, 3-D and cutting-edge digital projection, alongside beloved numbers that have been traditions since 1933. Entertainment at Radio City begins a quarter hour before showtime when the mighty Wurlitzer organs roll out with dueling organists for a most entertaining concert of holiday favorites.
BEHIND THE MUSIC HALL CURTAIN: Spectacular Trivia
• Before they became The Rockettes, the precision troupe was called the “Roxyettes” after their first NYC venue, the Roxy Theatre.
• There are nine free-floating snowflakes, roughly four feet in diameter, that fly throughout the theater in “Snow.” Controlled by a mini GPS system, they transform the Music Hall into a glistening wonderland.
• The “New York at Christmas” scene features a faux ice rink made from an artificial surface with the same properties as real ice.
• Between the Rockettes, ensemble, and Santa Claus, more than 1,200 pairs of shoes are worn per show.
• One of the Christmas Spectacular’s most beloved performers is a camel named Ted, who costars in the “Living Nativity.”
The Radio City Christmas Spectacular runs through January 3rd, 2016. For tickets, visit the Music Hall box office Mon.-Sat., 10am-6pm (Sixth Ave. & 50th St.), radiocitychristmas.com or call 866-858-0007.
“The Very Hungry Caterpillar” emerges from the page in a the...
DataVision is redefining retail with their new, fully intera...
This renovated museum complex includes the 900-foot-long air...