Want to be Olympian Michael Phelps?August 12, 2008 - by Ellis Whitman
Chelsea Piers Sports Center is a great pool for serious swimmers and membership is expensive, but the facilities and amenities are deluxe.* Address: Sports Center, Pier 60, 23rd St & the Hudson River
* Phone: 212-336-6000
* Getting There: E to 23rd St. and walk west, M23 bus to the Chelsea Piers
* Pool Type: Six-lane indoor pool with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the Hudson River
* Cost: $50 day passes available.
* Hours: Weekdays from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Weekends from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Asphalt Green is considered by many to be the best pool and fitness center in all of New York City. From their 50-meter Olympic standard pool and warm-water exercise pool to their state-of-the-art fitness center and group exercise classes, Asphalt Green is a world-class facility where members can always find an exciting way to exercise and stay fit. And our friendly staff of professional fitness coaches and aquatics instructors ensures that you get the best return on your exercise investment.
* Address: 555 E. 90th St. at York Ave.
* Phone: 212-369-8890
* Getting There: 4,5,6 to 86th St.
* Cost: Drop -in day rates are $25 for adults and $8 for kids (drop-in not available weekedays between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.) Swimming membership is $1,000.
* Hours: Weekdays from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Weekends from 8 a.m.to 8 p.m.
* Overview: Beautiful pool with great kids' programs.
They also offer membership-only amenities such as sauna and steam rooms as well as free WiFi access at our Wave Café. And be sure to ask about our personal training program, private swim lessons, massage therapy, and specialty fitness classes.
New York City Department of Parks and Recreation
All 54 Parks outdoor pools will open on June 27, 2008 and close on September 1, 2008. Indoor pools remain open year-round. General hours of operation are 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Call individual pools for more specific information.
Here is a link, with maps, to NYCDPR pools throughout all five boroughs.
Gaston Leroux's famous period thriller is now one of Broadwa...
The world's largest source of cameras, camcorders, and more ...
Sweeping, unobstructed, open-air views of NYC from the top o...