Mid-December News & Views
Back to the Blog... | Post Feedback | Author Bio | Printer-Friendly
Cutting to the chase (as I am wont to do regularly and sporadically): Breaking Gotham stage news is running amok both On- and Off-Broadway, from closing hits with second lives to special deals to make your stage-struck seasons bright to provocative limited runs with must-see cache.
And so, in the spirit of all things merry, festive & Manhattan-y I offer up my humble gift of print out-able goodies of the pre-and post-theatrical kind.
Private Lives to close on New Year’s Eve –- Originally slated to slip off the Broadway grid in early February, this delightful revival of Noel Coward’s romantic comedy, starring Kim Cattrall and Paul Gross, is taking it on the lam, way too early. Seriously, they – and the rest of their theatrical cohorts – are first-rate. One can only assume slack ticket sales leading up to the January doldrums have spooked producers. My advice: see it while you can. Cattrall gives a stellar performance and Gross is an unsung (Canadian!) hottie on the cusp of giving superstars like George Clooney a run for their money! 212 239 6200; www.telecharge.com -- you’ll thank me come 2012!
The Return of Venus in Fur – David Ives’ tantalizing Manhattan Theatre Club hit and a half is closing this Sunday (December 18th) at MTC’s Samuel J. Friedman Theatre -- directed by Tony Award winner Walter Bobbie and starring Tony Award nominee Nina Arianda and Emmy Award nominee Hugh Dancy -- will be resurrected due to popular demand (and killer performances) at another Broadway house, the Lyceum Theatre, on Tuesday, February 7th. If you missed the first round of this sexual sizzler of a show, I strongly suggest hopping on the reservation bandwagon before it sells out (yes, it’s another limited run, this time set to dissolve on June 17th). Tickets for the second round go on sale today -- December 15th – so carpe diem a la Telecharge: 212-239-6200 or www.telecharge.com.
Memphis Madness -- The 2010 Tony Award winning Best Musical is welcoming the New Year with one Happy New Year of a deal: Purchase one full price ticket will receive a second ticket for only $20. [The Lowdown: Tickets must be purchased by December 30th for performances running January 3rd through March 4th, 2012. To take advantage of this limited offer or vist www.memphisthemusical.com/Madness and use the code MEWIN1202.
More announcements, reviews, etc. to come throughout 2011’s holiday season... In the meantime, check out the tree at Rockefeller Center before heading to the Great White Way!
Posted on December 14, 2011 - by
Reader Feedback -
Be the first to kick-start this discussion...
Join the discussion... To register, please click here
About the Author: City Guide Theatre Editor Griffin Miller moved to New York to pursue an acting/writing career in the 1980s after graduating magna cum laude from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Since then, she has written for The New York Times, For the Bride, Hotels, and a number of other publications, mostly in the areas of travel and performance arts. She currently is the theatre and spa editor for Promenade Magazine as well as theatre editor for all NYMetroParents publications. An active member of The New York Travel Writers Association, she is also a playwright and award-winning collage artist. In addition, she sits on the board of The Lewis Carroll Society of North America. Griffin is married to Richard Sandomir, Sports Media reporter for The New York Times.
- Little Miss Sunshine Swaps Wills, Cumming Returns in Cabaret & More
- Casting News for Broadway's Fall 2013 Season
- Six Degrees of Broadway Separation - Fall 2013 Edition
- 'Hello Goodbye' to Let It Be; Pippin Casting News and More
- The Trip to Bountiful Has Extended Its Engagement (Again!) at Broadway's Stephen Sondheim
- Two New Annies, Sleep No More News & More
- Celebrity Sightings: Faith Prince, Carol Kane & Wendy Williams on Broadway This Summer
- All Tony Awards, All Night Long...
- Neil Patrick Harris Returning to Host the Tony Awards
- Orphans Closing Early; Lucky Guy & Macbeth Extended
- Jekyll & Hyde the Musical to Close May 12
- Tony, Tony, Tony -67th Nomination Ceremony (Made at 8:30am ET, April 30, 2013)
- Broadway News: Tiffany's Closing; Ann Discounts
- For Elaine Stritch: A Final Adieu at Her Signature Venue
- New Reviews: Cinderella, Ann & Vanya and Sonia
- Final Weekend for As You Like It at the New Victory
- Bill Pullman to Join the Cast of The Other Place
- St. James Theatre Closed for the Weekend as Barry Manilow Recuperates
- A Sneak Peek at What's on Broadway This Spring
- Evita to Close January 26
- Broadway Roundup: Chaplin, The Anarchist, Scandalous
- Off-Broadway Shows Not to Be Missed Before the Holidays
- The Exonerated Returns Plus More Off Broadway News
- Checking in on the Off Broadway Stages
- Applause for Chaplin on Broadway
- Blue Man Group Contest & Off Broadway's 20at20 Deal
- 54 Below - Broadway's Sizzling New Nightclub
- Ghost the Musical to Close on August 18
- Midsummer NYC Theater Update
- Jesus Christ Superstar to Close on July 1
- Patti LuPone's 'Far Away Places'
- Anything Goes to Close on August 8th
- Tony Postscript
- Tony, Tony, Tony...2012: Recapping the Big Night
- Million Dollar Quartet to Close June 24
- Tony Nomination Aftermath
- Spider-Man on Broadway Announces Free Show for 'Tonys'
- Seminar and Magic/Bird to Close
- Tony Nominations - 2011-2012 Season
- The Next 'Annie' to Be Revealed on Tomorrow's The Today Show
- First Look: Nice Work If You Can Get It
- Kevin Kline and Meryl Streep to Headline the Public Theater Gala in June
- The Lion King Celebrates 6,000 Performances on April 18
- Broadway Buzz, Tony Noms, 2012's Shakespeare in the Park
- The Play Company To Present Its Annual CABARET GOURMET 2012 on April 30
- This Week's Broadway Openings & Previews
- First Look: Don't Dress for Dinner
- Neil Patrick Harris Returning to Host 66th Annual Tony Awards
- This Week's Broadway Openings & Previews
- Stockard Channing Returns to Other Desert Cities on April 6