SpaceFest at Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
212-245-0072 www.intrepidmuseum.org Free with the cost of admission
This event has already taken place. Click here for the latest events.
Experience an exciting celebration of space, science, technology and innovation at the 2nd annual “SpaceFest,” featuring the newly reopened Space Shuttle Pavilion surrounding Space Shuttle Enterprise at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
The festival will offer guests a variety of interactive displays, activities, exhibitions and presentations, as well as astronaut appearances, an astronomy night, and a free movie screening on the flight deck of the Intrepid.
Highlights of “SpaceFest” include:
• Free screening of the popular film Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) on Intrepid’s Flight Deck on the evening of Friday, July 26, doors open at 7:30pm;
• Meet and greets, presentations and autograph signings with astronauts Ellen Baker, Mario Runco, Jr., Charles Camarda, Lee Morin, and former United Space Alliance Spacecraft Shop Lead, Tim Keyser;
• A free Astronomy night under the stars, with local astronomers helping visitors navigate the night sky and offering talks and demonstrations on space science and cosmic wonders on the evening of Saturday, July 27 at 8:00PM;
• NASA space demonstrations, activities and hands-on exhibits;
• LEGO Master Builder Ed Diment will unveil a 3.5-foot LEGO replica of the Space Shuttle Enterprise. Visitors are also invited to participate in building a 6’x 6’ LEGO mosaic which will recreate the iconic photo of Enterprise flying over Central Park;
• Hands-on, highly interactive exhibitions, activities, games and demonstrations, including virtual goggles that take visitors into outer space, stop-motion animation movies, 3-D printing experiences and the opportunity to design your own lunar landing video game;
• Inflatable rock climbing wall;
• Appearances from the 501st Garrison Star Wars characters on Sunday, July 28;
• Education demonstrations and Tour Guide Talks from the Intrepid Museum staff.
All “SpaceFest” activities are free with admission to the Museum; activities taking place on the Pier are free and open to the public. All events and appearances are subject to change. For a complete schedule of events, visit www.intrepidmuseum.org.
Additional Info: The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a non-profit, educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world's fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Through exhibitions, educational programming and the foremost collection of technologically groundbreaking aircraft and vessels, visitors of all ages and abilities are taken on an interactive journey through history to learn about American innovation and bravery. The Intrepid Museum fulfills its mission to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth by connecting them to history through hands-on exploration while bridging the future by inspiring innovation.