"Barring some new setback, the much-awaited shift in mindset among American travelers from 'pandemic' to 'endemic' travel finally may be underway,” says Amir Eylon, President and CEO of Longwoods International, on the release of the latest survey data showing rising traveler confidence. “We are moving beyond the pandemic,” echoes Roger Dow, CEO of the U.S. Travel Association. All the data we're seeing at City Guide reinforces 2022's major potential:
- Globally, it's looking bright for international tourism. The latest data from the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) indicates the tourism industry could grow to $8.6 trillion this year, which is 94% of pre-pandemic levels. The news is even better for the U.S. tourism industry, which the WTTC sees exceeding pre-pandemic levels by 6.2% this year.
- NY Times 2022 travel trends notes "cities are back." Search engine Skyscanner reports NYC is the top booked destination this year; Expedia is seeing increased NYC searches as well.
- U.S. travel flight bookings for summer travel have jumped 600% in the last month. New York City is a major destination, trailing only London, for those summer travelers.
- Companies are betting BIG on the return to normality, seeing renewed interest in traveling. Booking.com, Expedia and Turkish Airlines all booked expensive Super Bowl ad slots in the expectation of travel's return as coronavirus restrictions are lifted.
- Look for business travelers to be back sooner than anticipated. Airline execs now expect an accelerated full business travel recovery. Despite omicron, meeting volume last month was up 350% from January 2021.
Times Square Arts and the Museum of Arts and Design present Bloom by Habitat Workshop, the winner of the 14th Annual Love and Design Competition in Times Square. The installation can be explored at Broadway and 46th until March 9th. Photo by Maria Baranova for Times Square Arts.
LINKS OF INTEREST
- Music and passion as the Copacabana returns to NYC
- Planet Hollywood coming back to Times Square
- Disney’s “The Soul of Jazz: An American Adventure,” now open at The National Jazz Museum in Harlem
- Hall des Lumières launching with immersive Gustav Klimt: Gold in Motion in FiDi this summer
- Empire Outlets to restructure with help from Goldman Sachs
- Manhattan rents neared a record high for January
- Leaked Broadway grosses show Omicron impact; recent numbers are up for both grosses and capacity
- City to phase out dining sheds, but allow "roadway cafes"
The Plaza launches The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Suite, paying homage to the show's mid-century modern style. There's a Midge Menu afternoon tea for two on offer as well. Photo courtesy The Plaza.
- Cruise bookings picking up steam, up 37% from 2021
- Disney's domestic parks and resorts had a historic quarter; Disney World dropping mask requirements
- Tripadvisor 2022 travel survey points to rebounding interest; for the U.S., shorter stays but bigger spends
- U.S. luxury tourism recovering faster than budget travel
- CDC not ready to lift testing protocols for international travel
- The Coachella and Stagecoach festivals are dropping all Covid-related requirements for entry
- January job numbers way up, including over 150,000 added in leisure and hospitality
WHY DAVLER MEDIA ESTABLISHED WOMEN IN TOURISM AWARDS
Women In Tourism Awards is the first of its kind program, which recognizes individuals’ achievements and encourages collaborations in the tourism industry.
- The Awards creates a platform for companies and institutions to publicly honor accomplished women and help advance their careers.
- Women In Tourism Awards presents hope that in the future there will be more females represented at the highest levels in tourism organizations.
- This celebration sends a positive message of recovery, presenting opportunities to network and build together.
As an industry we should honor our stars and take pride in the women who will help lead us towards future successes.
NOMINATE A DESERVING COLLEAGUE!
The Women In Tourism Awards honors women across diverse categories, with a celebration luncheon taking place at Sony Hall on May 10th.